October 2018

Important NOTICES

♦  INTERESTED IN PLAYING MAHJONG?
Email fitness@predatorridge.com or stop by the Fitness Centre to leave your name.  This will be a homeowner led group, we are just helping to facilitate interest! 

♦  VERNON FOOD BANK DRIVE
DATES: October 1 - 8, 2018
WHERE: Member Services
Bring in your monetary, non-perishable food and/or baby items (diapers & formula) donations to support our annual food bank drive at Predator Ridge.

♦  ANNUAL CLUB COVER BLOWOUT FOR CHARITY
DATES: October 5 - 8, 2018
WHERE: Member Services
In support of our annual Food Drive, we will be selling all unclaimed head covers found throughout the year. Payments can be made monetarily or in the form of food or baby item donations. ALL donations will go directly to the Vernon Food Bank.

♦  NEXT HABITAT FOR HUMANITY BOTTLE DRIVE
DATE: Saturday, October 13
Please have your refundable beverage containers curbside by 9am. 
If you would like to volunteer to help, please email gloryw@shaw.ca

♦  IMPORTANT REMINDER
Cart path usage: For your safety we would like to remind you, while our golf courses are open, usage of the golf course and cart paths is for golfing members and golfing guests only.

Please use designated hiking trails and bike trails or additional cart paths within the community to enjoy the resort. Please stop by and grab a trail map from the Fitness Centre or click here to view our complete trail map

Events in your Backyard

Click on each event, for more details

The Okanagan Rail Trail

Just over two years after the campaign began, the Okanagan community has met the goal of raising $7.8 million and the long awaited Okanagan Rail Trail is now officially open!

For the most part, all sections of the trail are now complete, with the exception of 2km between Lake Country and the Airport (YLW) along the Duck Lake Indian Reserve. Planning and construction of this section of the trail is underway, although it will not open in 2018. According to OkanaganRailTrail.ca, the right of way through the Indian Reserve at Duck Lake is still in the process of being transferred to the Okanagan Indian Band. They ask that you please respect the band and this process.

On top of the 27km that we are servicing with our new shuttle, the trail is also open for an additional 15km from Old Vernon Road (at the airport YLW) to Gordon Drive in Kelowna. Plans to extend the trail to Rotary Marsh Park on Lake Okanagan are underway but no date of completion has been set

We hope that you are enjoying this amazing new trail and thank everyone who helped us to raise almost $84,000 earlier this summer. We are so proud of our community and the legacy that we have helped to build.

Our New Okanagan Rail Trail Shuttle

Getting down to the new Okanagan Rail Trail got easier for Predator Ridge residents & guests, with the launch of our new bike shuttle last month.

We have 2 shuttles running daily from Wednesday - Sunday with drop-offs in Coldstream and pick-ups in Lake Country. The current shuttle route services a 27km stretch of this amazing new trail that runs directly alongside Kalamalka Lake with a gentle grade and trail surface. This stretch of the trail takes 2.5 hours to bike at a moderate pace. + Click here for route information.

Shuttles are complimentary for the 2018 season!  No strings attached!  Advanced reservations are required, as space on each shuttle is limited.  Available on a first come, first served basis. 

FITNESS

HOURS OF OPERATION
NEW FALL HOURS!
Weekdays: 6:00AM - 8:00PM  |  Weekends: 7:00AM - 8:00PM

FITNESS CLASSES
Get moving this month with your choice of 21 classes/week for just $75/month (unlimited) or purchase a 10-class punch pass for $110 or drop-in for just $14/class*

Do you want to see any of our class times changes?  Or do you have any requests for new classes?  Come talk to Susan or send an email to:  smorris@predatorridge.com

► THANKSGIVING
Please note that classes will be cancelled on Sunday, October 7 and Monday, October 8 for Thanksgiving.

► SKI PERFORMANCE CONDITIONING WORKSHOPS
Get your legs ski ready with a series of workshops on Sundays in November from 11am - 12pm at the Fitness Centre.  Advanced sign up is required.  More details coming in our next Community Living newsletter. 

► TENNIS LESSONS

Come sharpen your game with lessons with award-winning Tennis pro Milos Pospisil.  Milos has a long history in tennis and has been coaching for over 29 years.  From beginners to elite players, Milos depth of knowledge and coaching skills will improve your game no matter your skill level.

2018 Tennis Lesson Pricing

Lesson Type Predator Ridge
Homeowner Rate

Public Rate

Private
$75/hour* $90/hour*

Semi-Private
$50/hour/person* $65/hour/person*

Group
(3-4 people)    
$30/hour/person* $45/hour/person*

Group
(6-8 people)          
$25/hour/person* $40/hour/person*

For more information or to sign up for tennis lessons, please contact Carmen Lindsay at clindsay@predatorridge.com or by phone at: (250) 503-3414

► TENNIS & PICKLEBALL RENTALS

Want to experience our new courts in the Commons Park but need a racquet?  We can help!  We have both tennis racquets and pickleball paddles available for rent in the Fitness Centre! 

BIKE RENTALS

Mountain Bikes: Come explore our 13km of mountain bike trails with our fleet of mountain bikes.  We have both hard tail and pedal assist Specialized bikes available.  + Learn more

Cruisers:  Regular & Pedal Assist bikes available.  Designed to be the hassle-free, no-fuss, no-excuses bike to help you hit your fitness goals. Our cruiser bikes offer excellent traction, stability, and cushioning, which creates a safer, more reliable, and more comfortable ride on either paved or dirt roads. Equipped with Body Geometry "The Cup" saddle, you can expect a supreme level of comfort by "cupping" your sit bones, which reduces pressure without feeling obtrusive or constraining. The spring suspension seatpost takes the sting out of rough terrain, giving you an extra bit of "cushion" that'll have you riding longer and more comfortably. + Learn more

Bike Rentals are available daily between 8:00am - 6:00pm

INDOOR FOOTWEAR REMINDER. In order to keep our fitness centre and equipment looking its best (as well as for safety reasons) we are enforcing a strict indoor only shoe rule. Thank you for your cooperation.  

► BOOK EXCHANGE. Need a new book?  Or looking to get rid of some good reads?  Our book exchange just keeps on growing and is available to you everyday!

Members Corner

► PREDATOR CUP

The newly rebranded Predator Cup held on September 15th was a huge success! Thank you to all participants for a fun day of golf followed by a great meal. Great weather and great competition saw Team Yellow coming out on top, to take home bragging rights, and share the Predator Cup trophy.

Congratulations to all of Team Yellow!

2018-Predator-Cup-Member-Golf-Event-at-Predator-Ridge

► CLUB STORAGE

Members are required to pick up their clubs from our seasonal storage by Friday, October 19. Clubs still left in storage after October 19 will be charged a winter season storage fee of $200.00 + tax.

► AERATION SCHEDULE & COURSE CLOSURE DATES

Our annual aeration will be taking place between October 1 – October 5. During these dates we will have one course open, which will be shared by public and member bookings. Tee times are limited. Please note that on October 3, both courses will be closed.

• Monday, October 1:  Ridge Course closed – Predator Course open
  • Tuesday, October 2: Ridge Course closed – Predator Course open
  • Wednesday, October 3: Both courses closed
  • Thursday, October 4: Predator Course closed – Ridge Course open
  • Friday, October 5: Predator Course closed – Ridge Course open
  • Saturday, October 6: Both courses open

The last day of play will be October 8. From October 9– 14 we will be holding 11:00am Golftoberfest shotguns on the Ridge course only. Member tee times spots will be limited this week and available for sign up online, as this is part of our Golftoberfest event and is also available to public and resort bookings.

A message from A.J. Eathorne

It is with mixed feelings that we announce that A.J. Eathorne has made an exciting career decision and will be joining Sotheby's Realty. We have been truly fortunate to have A.J. as one of our key team members since 2012 and all of the instrumental work she has made for Predator Ridge and our Swing Like a Girl program. Luckily she won't be going far and will always represent Predator Ridge. We truly wish her the very best! A.J.'s last day will be October 14.

Here are some words directly from A.J.

I wanted to let everyone know that the time has come that I move on to a new adventure in life! Thank you to everyone for making my time working at Predator Ridge so wonderful and fun! I have developed some great relationships with Homeowners and Members and hope to keep those going.

I won't be "moving"; but rather staying here in Vernon and entering into a new career as a real estate agent with Sotheby's. I am excited to be partnering with Darlene Grundy, a homeowner at Predator Ridge, and I look forward to having her as great mentor to help me find my way. We service the Predator Ridge and Vernon areas so you can guarantee that I will be around promoting a lot!

I have always loved to help people so this vocation seems to be a great fit. I look forward to developing great relationships as I help people with finding their new dream home, or to sell their beloved home to someone new. I believe communication is important so I want to make sure I am available to anyone that might need my help.

I am happy to know that everyone is in good hands with the Academy with Brodie, Sean, and Kyla. I am also extremely happy that the Swing Like A Girl program will still be going strong…thanks Kyla!

I don’t want this to be goodbye so please stay in touch. My personal email is ajegolf@gmail.com or my new work email is aeathorne@sothebysrealty.ca.

I will always love to talk golf, so don’t be shy with that. Perhaps we can even get in a fun round or two next year!

I look forward to sharing my new adventure with everyone! All the best for a great off season and beyond!

Hugs, AJ (& Macie)

Thanksgiving at Predator Ridge

THANKSGIVING BRUNCH

Celebrate family, friends and everything that you are grateful for with our award-winning brunch.

Voted Best Brunch in the North Okanagan, join us for our popular Thanksgiving Sunday Brunch. Enjoy our chef attended Brunch stations, breakfast items, fresh seafood, gourmet lunches, desserts and more. 

This event sells out every year, so we recommend that you make your reservations early.

DATE: Sunday, October 7, 2018
TIMES:
First seating starts at: 9:00am
Last seating starts at: 1:30pm
Buffet will close at 2:00pm

COST:
Adults = $36.95/person*
Seniors = $33.95/person*
Children (6 – 12 years) = $17.95/child*
Children (5 & under) = $5/child*

book now button.jpg
Reservations are required.

THANKSGIVING DINNER

Skip the dishes and all the prep work and join us for an amazing 3-course Thanksgiving dinner on Monday, October 8.

MENU
Course #1: Apple celeriac soup
Course #2: Rosemary thyme brined Rossdown Farms turkey breast, sage brown butter gnocchi, herb stuffing, seasonal vegetables
Course #3: Harvest apple strudel with vanilla bean gelato
BONUS FEATURE: Cranberry Mule feature cocktail

DATE: Monday, October 8, 2018
TIME: Reservations starting at 5:00pm
COST: $39.95/person*

book now button.jpg
Reservations are required.

THANKSGIVING AT COMMONAGE MARKET

Pre-orders are back for Thanksgiving Turkeys at the Commonage Market!  This year we are featuring 17lb organic, free range turkeys from JD Farms.Make sure to order your turkey before Monday, October 1, 2018.

We also have all the fixings for your special dinner including fresh sage, root vegetables, butter, stocks, stuffing mixes & more!

Whether you're hosting, or a guest, we have a wide variety of #BCWine perfect for your Thanksgiving dinner!

* Plus applicable taxes & gratuities. Reservations are available on a first come, first served basis.

From the Academy

After successful 2017 & 2018 seasons, we are proud to be offering our next version of the best deal in Golf Coaching in the Okanagan. Canadian National Award Winning Instructor and 2016 PGA of BC Teacher of the Year, Brodie Carle is offering "the proper way" to improve your game. The 2019 program will continue to offer valuable and affordable season long coaching at Predator Ridge as well as add some new elements to help you see improvements faster!

EARLY BIRD DEAL:
Regular price $2,250/student*

Season Long Program Overview:

• Off season TPI Fitness assessment with winter fitness session plan
  • One 90-minute private lesson and personalized TPI fitness session, every other week (12 total)
  • One group practice, with 2 options per week (22 total)
  • Five chiropractic sessions with Dr Wombold of Pro Motion Chiropractic Clinic (5 total). Sessions to be held at Predator Ridge.
  • One monthly group fitness session
  • Free access to Skillest courses/ instructional videos ($100 value)
  • Free access to the BCGco instructional video website ($250 value)
  • Free access to ShotbyShot "strokes gained statistical" website and app ($100 value)
  • Free access to TOUR PLAYER exhibition/clinic hosted by Brodie Carle ($50 value)
  • Exclusive invite to "Bandon Dunes" year-end season long golf tournament
  • Access to the BCG podcast
  • Monthly "The 60" tee gift ($400 value)
  • Season long practice facility pass

For more details or to register for our 2019 Season Long Coaching, please email: bcarle@predatorridge.com

Everyone who signs up and pays for "The 60" program before October 31st will get their name in a draw for one of 3 lucky trips to Bandon Dunes. When you refer someone to "The 60" program your name will be entered once again.

If you refer 5 people, you will automatically earn a FREE Bandon Dunes getaway! 

Academy2019-The60Promo.jpg

FROM THE VERNON FOLK-ROOTS MUSIC SOCIETY

If you love Blues music, join the Vernon Folk-Roots Music Society this October for a performance by Grammy award nominees Guy Davis & Fabrizio Poggi.

Guy Davis is a true ambassador of the blues. His deep reverence of past blues masters is evident on all his albums and at all his shows. Guy has had his musical storytelling influenced by artists like Blind Willie McTell and Big Bill Broonzy, and his musicality from artists as diverse as Lightnin’ Hopkins and Babatunde Olatunji. However, there’s one man that Guy most credits for his harmonica techniques, by stealing and crediting from him everything that he could, and that man is the legendary Sonny Terry.

Fabrizio Poggi is a singer and dynamite harmonica player who was born in Italy. Over his career which spans over 20 albums, he has performed with Little Feat, The Blind Boys of Alabama, Ronnie Earl, John Hammond and many more.

DATE: Wednesday, October 10, 2018
WHERE: Prestige Vernon Lodge and Conference Centre (3914 32 St, Vernon)
TIME: Doors open at 7:00pm, concert at 7:30pm

Food and beverages will be available at the show, so please arrive early and hungry!

COST:  Tickets $30 | VFRMS members $25

• Tickets are on sale now at www.ticketseller.ca
  • Or at Expression of Time (2901 30 Avenue Vernon)
  • Or at the door (cash only)